Studies show that although most people recover from mild sepsis, the mortality rate for septic shock is nearly 50 percent. The risk factors for mortality persist despite treatments for severe sepsis and septic shock, creating the demand for tools that can detect the early onset stages of this disease. Of patients who die, 62.3% die within 12 hours of the onset of septic shock.
VFusion™ Sepsis is a highly innovative EMR data analytics platform that combines comprehensive ontological models of the significant sepsis evidence base with natural language processing and “big data” science techniques to improve the detection and predictive diagnosis of sepsis in the acute care environment. By combining our clinical ontologies with a repository of thousands of ICU patient encounters, VFusion has demonstrated extraordinary power to detect the onset of sepsis 24-48 hours before usual care baselines with an impressive AUC of .95 achieving an excellent balance of sensitivity and specificity.
The most powerful clinical alerting platform available for early detection of complex syndromes
* Leverage clinical ontologies developed by experts in sepsis and emergency medicine, utilizing semantic models with over 500,000 classes and 2M axioms.
* Treat sepsis hours sooner than usual care, preventing disease progression and minimizing risk of mortality and readmissions.
* Designed to integrate with any modern EMR interfaces, supporting HL7, FHIR, APP stores, and equipment interface protocols.
* Alerts can be presented directly in the present care management systems to align with existing protocols and workflows, and the excellent specificity eliminates alert fatigue.
* Intelligent alerts arrive with explanatory text and diagnostic prompts that provide context to the alert, identifying detection parameters and gaps in diagnoses.
Imagine what a doctor could do if they had all relevant data for every patient at their fingertips 24×7…AND the time to analyze it
Data can be presented as coded or free text. The recommended interval for data reporting is one to six hours. Only new measurements need to be transmitted at each interval.
Minimum Data Required
WBC / CBC
Blood Pressure, CVP
Additional Data Required
Glasgow Coma Scale
PaO2 / FiO2
Procedures / Surgeries
Nurse and Doctor Notes
Admitted Route, Etiology
Other Medication List
Data is held in state machines which process symptoms, labs, and vitals with temporal awareness, appreciating concurrence, acceleration of trends, and intervals.
Early Warning Sepsis
Criteria / Reason
Lactate, WBC, Blood Pressure, Cultures Ordered
Patient on beta blockers. Post-op patient. Transfer from ICU.